*My philosophy on Education

My philosophy on Education.  Another paper I wrote for a class…..Your Thoughts?

Interactive Essay on Personal Philosophy of Education

My educational philosophy is outlined in the philosophy of the Janice Mitchell Isbell Academy, Inc. (JMIA), established in 2001.  It defines what I believe is real, true, good, beautiful, and logical.  The following ten statements form the foundation from which JMIA stands:  l:  “1. “ALL” students can learn.  2. Practice, Practice, Practice is the key to Academic success.  3. Building on strengths is the first step to learning.  4. Help students to realize success. Success builds on Success.  5. Teach students to take responsibility for their education, regardless of the prevailing circumstances.  6. Unity of purpose – Students / Parents / School / Community.  7. Learning extends beyond the classroom.  8. High expectations, encouragement, and support help students succeed in challenging areas.  9. Teaching is adapted to the needs of the student.  10. Equip ALL students with the skills necessary to compete.”  (Isbell, 2006, p. 5)  I wrote these ten statements as the philosophy of JMIA when setting up a school to serve students struggling in a traditional classroom. 

The first JMIA philosophy is that ‘“ALL” students can learn.’  This statement does not imply all students learn at the same pace or with the same resources.  Instead, we look at each student as an individual, each with unique weaknesses and strengths.  One of our purposes is to “Accelerate the knowledge, skills, and abilities of the students to at and/or above grade-level expectations” (Isbell, 2001, p. 5).  If we receive a fifth grade student who reads on the third grade level, he is given third grade reading materials.  Conversely, if that same student does well in advanced mathematics, he is given advanced work in mathematics.  The JMIA strives to avoid the fallacies associated with our first philosophy.  One such fallacy “is the belief that all children can learn the same curriculum, in the same amount of time, and at the same level…Not all children have the high-quality nutrition, stimulating homes, and extensive learning opportunities prior to entering school.” (Thomas and Bainbridge, 2001)  At the JMIA a program has been implemented to instill discipline in the students.  A few of the policies the program includes is the students wear uniforms to school and junk food is prohibited in the lunches.  The homework folder is a focal point for both the parents and students:  one location to find homework assignments. 

We routinely facilitate JMIA’s second philosophy of “Practice, Practice, Practice is the key to Academic success.”  The JMIA is noted as requiring more homework than the public schools.  The more a student practices, the more prepared he is.  With repetition the student learns and gains knowledge through experience.  I believe we must take these students to a point where hard work and daily practice is the norm. 

My third philosophy is that we must build upon the strengths of the students.  Most students come to JMIA dejected.  They feel they cannot learn anything, no matter how hard they try.  We start with assignments that will appear to be at a level above the student’s capabilities and help him to realize success.  Once a student realizes success, he is motivated to try something else that seems hard.  After realizing success numerous times, the student believes he/she can learn.  Thus, the fourth philosophy of helping the students realize success is achieved. 

After a student demonstrates that he has developed a methodical method of approaching each assignment, we implement the fifth philosophy:  “Teach students to take responsibility for their education, regardless of the prevailing circumstances.”  The JMIA students are introduced to people who have survived under all sorts of odds, via books, movies, speakers, etc.  Some feel they are too stupid, too poor, too afraid, too, too, too etc. to learn.  Our job is to eliminate the excuses from their everyday conversations.  We try to instill in them that they are ultimately responsible for their education.  The JMIA student motto, pledge, and creed lay the foundation for this transition.  They are repeated everyday before the start of school as part of character education. 

The sixth philosophy “Unity of purpose – Students/Parents/School/Community” is my belief that it takes all of us to shape students and to help them realize success.  Sometimes it seems to take more time to convince the parents that their child is capable of succeeding than it does the child.  Helping children realize success occurs beyond the classroom.  To boost the child’s confidence, we encourage participation in a sport or activity outside of the classroom.  I have been tutoring for more than thirty years, and I always encourage parents to put their children in activities to boost their confidence.  The results are outstanding.  To see a shy student excel in football, basketball, piano, debate team, rocket team, etc. is exciting on my part, but encouraging on the part of the student and the parents. 

The seventh philosophy operating in the JMIA is “Learning extends beyond the classroom.”  In addition to the activities scheduled by the parents, we schedule monthly field trips to expose the students to things they normally would not have an opportunity to experience.  Exposure expands the number of options a child has to choose from in deciding his future.  The future of that child looks rosier to the student and the parents.  As stated by John Locke “the difference to be found in the manners and abilities of men is owing more to their education than to anything else; we have reason to conclude, that great care is to be had of the forming children’s minds, and giving them that seasoning early, which shall influence their lives always and after.” (Cahn, 1997, p. 145)  This is not only true and real, but also good and beautiful.  I have seen shy and withdrawn students go on to succeed in our community when they have received encouragement and direction from their teachers, and others around them.

The JMIA’s eighth educational philosophy is very important in educating our youth: “High expectations, encouragement, and support help students succeed in challenging areas.”  Regular encouragement and challenges to do their best, as defined by them, moves the students’ definition of “their” best upward.  In an article, Shokraii noted that “The greatest tragedy of public education today is the low expectations it sets for poor children, especially blacks and Hispanics…But the experience of countless schools and teachers shows that when there are high expectations, black and Hispanic children can meet them.”  (Shokraii, 1996)  We must challenge and help them reach their goals.  Then the goal is reset higher.  The process of challenging and encouraging them repeats again, remembering that the time frame for each student is different. 

The ninth philosophy “Teaching is adapted to the needs of the student” is key to the student reaching the goals.  Each student has a different learning style and multiple intelligences.  We assess the students to obtain their predominant learning style.  Introducing new materials in the predominant learning style helps facilitate the learning process. 

Lastly, I believe we must “Equip ALL students with the skills necessary to compete.”  When a child does not know the basic materials needed to succeed in a classroom, we concentrate our initial assignments on the basic materials.  We also provide paper, pencils, erasers, uniforms, etc. for students whose parents cannot afford to buy the basics tools needed in the classroom.  This is a definite jolt in self-esteem when a child has the same tools as others in the classroom.  In most instances, the one tool most students need is discipline.  As noted above, we try to instill this one very important tool to carry them on into adulthood.

My educational philosophy has been shaped by many things, persons and events in my life.  It was much easier to pen my philosophy than what shaped it.  I used it to raise my son, tutor other students, and to shape the future impartation of knowledge into the students of JMIA.  I have a strong passion to help students realize success.  We use the see-saw effect in the acceleration process at JMIA.  Challenge the students.  Accelerate the pace.  Slow the pace – help them realize more success; then repeat the process.  My philosophy is summarized in 10 words, our school motto:  “We succeed because we do not know how to quit.™” (Isbell, 2001, p. 5)

References

Cahn, S. M.  (1991).  Classic and Contemporary Readings in the Philosophy of Education. 

New York:  The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.

Isbell, J. M.  (2001).  Family Handbook.  Huntsville, AL:  Janice Mitchell Isbell Academy, Inc.

Shokraii, N.  (1996).  Raising the Bar.  Policy Review:  The Journal of American Citizenship. 

Retrieved from http://www.heritage.org/Press/Commentary/ED022996a.cfm. 

Thomas, M. D. & William L. Bainbridge.  (2001).  All Children Can Learn: Facts and Fallacies. 

Retrieved August 21, 2007 from http://www.schoolmatch.com/articles/PDKMAY01.htm